Retrieved from Archive.org
The Returning Failure of Ram Bomjon
Ram Bomjon is back. The boy Buddha that brought fame, and tourist income, to his small village has stepped out of the jungle, where he pledged to meditate in peace for six years, and is doing his public relations schtick once more.
Bomjon’s special appeal is that he sits. He sits and sits and sits, not doing anything else for a long time, convincing people that he is meditating, and achieving enlightenment. His supporters say that he sat for about 8 months straight without eating or drinking or moving at all… although those same supporters refused to allow medical doctors to examine him, and during this supposed 8 month marathon of meditation, Bomjon’s supporters wouldn’t allow anyone to come see Bomjon’s nighttime meditations. They put up screens around him to hide him during these times – for his protection, you understand.
Now that Bomjon is back, he’s got a much fancier get up, with a stage, and colorful banners, and he’s laying his hand onto visitors in a kind of blessing. Ram Bomjon has become something like a shopping mall Santa Claus for Nepal.
The thing that really tickles my fancy about all this is that Ram Bomjon’s devotees claim that he is the reincarnation of the Buddha – Siddhartha Gautama.
The odd thing about the idea that Bomjon is the Buddha reincarnated is that the Buddha’s claim to fame is that he would not be reincarnated. The Buddha said that he had discovered a way out of the cycle of birth, death and rebirth. He regarded existence is inherently painful, and not worth having. A reincarnation of the Buddha is a contradiction in terms. If the Buddha were ever reincarnated, it would be a sign that he had failed in his task.
So, when Ram Bomjon’s supporters say that he’s the reincarnation of the Buddha, they’re unwittingly exposing Bomjon as a sham. Either they’re wrong about Bomjon being the Buddha’s reincarnation, or Bomjon is the reincarnation of a failure.
Besides all that, Ram Bomjon’s supposed extreme asceticism is a repudiation of one of the Buddha’s core teachings – that of the Middle Path between the extremes of self-indulgence and self-denial. The Buddha didn’t suggest going completely without food and water, but said that such efforts were inherently flawed.
Ram Bomjon makes a great sideshow, until you realize that it’s just show. If you don’t accept Buddhist ideology, Bomjon’s act is an obvious hoax. If you do accept the tenets of Buddhist ideology, however, Bomjon plainly fails to make the grade.
Of course, consistency is a hobgoblin of the world outside of faith. If you’re a believer, you can just say hush-hush to the monkey of the mind that tries to make actual sense of the world, and sink into warm tingles of belief for the sake of belief.
- Share this:
A senior writer for Irregular Times. Formerly an antiaquarian speech pathologist.View all posts by jclifford →This entry was posted in Podcasts, Religion, Video and tagged baradhur, buddhism, nepal, ram bamjan, ram bomjon, reincarnation, theology. Bookmark the permalink.← BREAKING: Patriot Act Reports on You Stay Sky High… And They’re Not About TerrorismNational Park Service Changes Its Tune on DC Inaugural Protest →
8 Responses to The Returning Failure of Ram Bomjon
- White People Suck – Especially Britts says:11/14/2008 at 3:26 pmWhat the fuck does your white British bitch ass know about Buddhism? Like every other dim-witted Anglo out there, your understanding of the Buddhist tenants is hindered by your inability to suspend your disbelief. You give your opinion on a subject like this because it makes you feel important; it makes you feel like people care about what you think; you feel like Bill O’Reilly or some other jack ass that’s out of the loop of things but professes to be some kind of authority whose opinion should be valued. Well, you’re not. My girlfriend also says you’re quite ugly. Your wife of gay partner might disagree, but it’s only because he’s uglier than you. Now, I’m not an authority on the matter by any means, but I don’t go belittling other people’s beliefs and culture because of my own lack of understanding and communion. Not only that, but Bomjon has asked that he not be referred to as a buddha or as the reincarnation of Gautama Buddha. Regarding him not eating or drinking: Just because Gautama Buddha basically said that extreme asceticism does not lead to the end of suffering (which is what Buddhism aims for) does not mean it is wrong for practitioners to do so. Buddhism is about personal experience. I’m not pulling that out of my ass either-it was said by Guatama Buddha himself. Otherwise, how can one find the middle path without knowing the two extremes? Him sitting there completely motionless for days on end is a feat in itself. I agree that the legitimacy of him refraining from food and water for days on end is questionable due to the screens put up at night, but that is no reason or excuse to insinuate foul play of any sort. You white people want something glorious like a fictional resurrection or a fat man to jump down your chimney. You need flashy lights and bells and whistles to get you going. Some dildos and lube maybe? While the rest of us normal humans are satisfied with fellatio and cunnilingus. Listen chump, this boy is indeed remarkable because had he read your blog, he would not have had any feelings of positivity nor negativity. He wouldn’t hold it against your or condemn you to Hell. Say what you want about me or my comments, but don’t you dare try to turn millions of people’s belief into a “sideshow”. He is not Buddha or the reincarnation, but he might be the closest man to it on the planet right now so have some goddamn respect. Eat a dick, faggot.Reply
- stephen murray says:11/14/2008 at 3:50 pm“white British bitch ass”
this simple idiotic phrase negates the whole comment that i didn’t even read.on a separate tangent i enjoyed reading jclifford’s entryReply
- General says:11/14/2008 at 10:40 pmI study the teachings of Buddha. I am reading this article with an open mind and I support the way this Author presents his arguments. I have the same thoughts about Ram Bomjon. Perhaps he really possess special abilities to meditate over a long period (note: I’m not able to define the word “long period” in the context of Ram Bomjon meditation). However, there should not be any attempt to suggest that Ram Bomjon is a reincarnation of Buddha. Such attempts would only cast a long shadow over the teachings of Buddha. To all, please do not try trail my comments if you have not fully read the texts from the teachings of Buddha.Reply
- Ralph says:11/15/2008 at 1:55 amQuestion for you, EPS and General:When you say you have “fully read the texts from the teachings of the Buddha,” what exactly do you mean?Which texts, exactly? Please be specific.Reply
- Joe Smith says:4/26/2009 at 6:59 pmGood article. Although I believe that most of his followers and he himself does not claim to be a reincarnate of buddha.Reply
- Rubens says:11/3/2009 at 8:40 amRam Bomjon is a boy with strong religious feelings and a devouted person in the practice of a traditional belief. The Bible’s definition of “soul” is simple and consistent. The word can refer to a human or an animal or to the life that a creature enjoys as a living soul.The Bible states: “The soul that is sinning—it itself will die.” (Ezekiel 18:4) The distressed prophet Elijah “began to ask that his soul might die.” (1 Kings 19:4) Likewise, Jonah “kept asking that his soul might die.” (Jonah 4:8) Yes, the soul dies when the person dies; it is not immortal. Since a person is a soul, to say that someone died is to say that his soul died.How clearly the Bible portrays the Devil as a real spirit person—an angel that became corrupt and dangerous! The first essential step in our keeping watchful is to recognize that he really exists. But keeping our senses and remaining watchful involves more. It is also important not to be ignorant of Satan’s “designs” and of his methods of misleading people. (2 Corinthians 2:11) What are his schemes? And how can we stand firm against them?The Devil has observed humans since the creation of mankind. He knows man’s makeup—his needs, his interests, and his desires. Satan is well-aware that man was created with a spiritual need, and the Devil has cleverly exploited this need. How? By feeding mankind religious untruths. (John 8:44)Reply
- Rubens says:11/3/2009 at 8:41 amMan’s spiritual inclination has led him to explore the unknown. This has exposed him to another of Satan’s deceptive devices. Exploiting man’s curiosity about what is strange and mysterious, Satan has used spiritism to bring many under his control. As a hunter uses bait to attract his prey, Satan employs such devices as fortune-telling, astrology, hypnotism, witchcraft, palmistry, and magic to attract and entrap people around the world.—Leviticus 19:31; Psalm 119:110.How can you protect yourself from being ensnared by spiritism? Deuteronomy 18:10-12 states: “There should not be found in you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, anyone who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer, or one who binds others with a spell or anyone who consults a spirit medium or a professional foreteller of events or anyone who inquires of the dead. For everybody doing these things is something detestable to Jehovah, and on account of these detestable things Jehovah your God is driving them away from before you.”Reply
- jangchup says:3/8/2010 at 12:49 pmdid you wrote all that with drunk or without if it is with drunk i dont wana say anything.
but if it is not by drunk then let me say something,,,,,
i dont know if this boy is buddha or not but after many deffirent research it is hundred person
sure he is holly person at moment. discovery chanel member took camera there abot 5 hours.
and nationnal geographic chanel put there camera about 10 hours.and they realized he is not fack.
who are you telling such a big lie?,,,,
remember one thing wheather you beleive budhism or not there is hundred of spirit who is protecting
hem.you can face in big trouple if u keep continue talking like that.it is quite sure…
budha boy is talking about world peace and all sentein beings including you.
if u r against this boy it is like you are kiking your foot on the rock and hurming ur self.Reply